Recent ArticlesNew Guidance for Lawyers on the Ethics of Social Media Use, by Mary Patricia Benz, Attorney at Work, October 23, 2014. This article offers advice about the ethics issues involved in social networking.
ISBA Reviews Liens and Recoverable Costs in Personal-Injury Cases, by Bridget A. Mitchell and Mary Patricia Benz, Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, Vol. 159, No. 19, January 28, 2013. This article discusses the ethical implicaitons when a personal-injury case is settled, but the defense counsel requests that the plaintiff counsel agree to guarantee the plaintiff's payment of liens or recoverable costs.
The Mediation Option for Attorney Discipline Cases, by Mary Patricia Benz, Illinois Bar Journal, Vol. 98 #5 May 2010. This article suggests that mediation might offer an efficient alternative means of resolving some attorney discipline cases that do not involve serious allegations of misconduct.
Motions After Judgment for Illinois and Federal Jury Trial Practice, by Judge Raymond W. Mitchell and Mary Patricia Benz, CBA Record, October 30, 2009. This article is intended to guide the occasional appellate lawyer through the many "traps for the unwary" that exist in post-judgment and appellate practice.
- "Sources of Ethical Guidance for Mediators", Speaker, DePaul Center for Dispute Resolution Mediation course, March 4, 2011.
- "Ethics in Solo Practice: Trust Accounts and Retainers," Speaker, Kane County Bar Association, January 27, 2011
- "Representing Clients in Mediation- Ethical Challenges and More," Speaker, Winston & Strawn LLP, December 9, 2010; similar presentation at Barnes & Thornburg, December 16, 2010.
- "Ethical Dilemmas for Mediators," Speaker, Association for Conflict Resolution, Chicago Chapter, November 17, 2010.
- "Taking Depositions," Teacher, Winston Strawn LLP "Winstitute", November 5-6, 2010.
- "Ethics in Large Firm Practice," Speaker, ARDC Board Seminar, October 21, 2010.
- "Ethics for Mediators," Speaker, De Paul University School of Law, June 29, 2010.
- "Keeping it Confidential: Duties to your Client and the Court," Speaker, Law Bulletin Seminars, June 23, 2010.
- "Mediation as Part of Attorney Discipline," Speaker, ARDC Hearing Board Meeting, May 2009.
- "Differences in Briefing Process in State and Federal Appeals," Speaker, Kane County Bar Association, December 2008.
- "Post-trial Motions," Speaker, Winston & Strawn Associate Training for Litigation, Spring 2007, 2008, 2009; "Summary Judgments," 2004, 2006.
- "How to Take an Effective Deposition," Speaker, Illinois Attorney General's Office, May 2006.