Publications And Speaking Engagements
Mary Pat Benz is a frequent speaker and author on topics that reflect the arbitration, mediation, professional responsibility matters, and appellate services she provides in her solo practice.
Examples of Mary Pat’s speaking engagements and published works include:
- Challenges Presented by Self-Represented Parties in Arbitration, AAA Chicago presentation, June 2021
- Ethical Guidance for Illinois Lawyer-Mediators, DePaul Law School guest lectures, 2011-2013, 2020-2021.
- Arbitrator Discretion in Discovery and Motion Practice, AAA Chicago presentation, June 2019.
- The Line Between the First Amendment and Professional Misconduct: the McCool Case – How the Internet and Social Media Tools Can Change the Traditional Lines, ARDC Board Seminar presentation, 2015.
- Representing Respondents, Introduction for New Hearing Board Members, ARDC Meeting presentation, 2014.
- Ethics for the New Mediation Practice, Association for Conflict Resolution, presentation, 2014.
- The Advocate in Mediation: Good Advocates Are Key to Successful Dispute Resolution, IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law, class presentation, 2014.
- Mediation Ethics for Mediators and Advocates, Chicago Bar Association presentation, March 8, 2013.
- Thoughts About Ethics for Attorney-Mediators, Association of Attorney-Mediators (IL) presentation, Dec. 13, 2011.
- Ethics in Solo Practice: Trust Accounts and Retainers, Kane County Bar Association presentation, Jan. 27, 2011.
- Representing Clients in Mediation – Ethical Challenges and More, presentations at Winston & Strawn LLP and other law firms.
- Ethical Dilemmas for Mediators, Association for Conflict Resolution, Chicago Chapter, presentation, Nov. 17, 2010.
- Ethics in Large Firm Practice, ARDC Board Seminar presentation, Oct. 21, 2010.
- Ethics for Mediators, DePaul University School of Law, presentation, June 29, 2010.
- Keeping it Confidential: Duties to your Client and the Court, Law Bulletin Seminar presentation, June 23, 2010.
- New Guidance for Lawyers On the Ethics of Social Media Use, www.attorneyatwork.com/ethics-of-social-media-use, Oct. 13, 2014.
- What are Clients’ Pet Peeves about Mediation? WBAI Journal, 2015.
- Overview of the Briefing Process in the Seventh Circuit and Illinois Appellate Court (with co-author Hon. Raymond W. Mitchell), CBA Record, Vol. 24, No. 4, May 2010.